Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Year of It

Is it weird that I’m excited to be “poor”? Tyler officially started grad school last week – he’s going to make one heck of a finance guy. I’m so proud of him. Such a smart dude. But school costs A LOT of money. Tuition, books, tests and parking passes – what’s $100 when you times that by 20, again by 10 and still need more? We’re both pretty adverse to the loan scenario, which means, we’re going to be legitimately lacking in financial frivolities for the next year.

And I’m excited. I’m looking forward to clipping coupons and shopping for deals. I want to make a meal that, according to the instructions, costs $1.12 per serving (my sister, Lindsey, rocks at this). I’m excited for our dates of snowman building and hot chocolate. I’m excited to make those memories. I’ll admit, for brief moments I get nervous and I miss my single shop-a-holic days just for a second. But mostly, I just feel blessed.

Someday maybe we’ll have money and we’ll go to Europe and we’ll buy a Lexus (IS 250 in dark blue, thank you). Maybe. But if we do or if we don’t, I’m excited to look back on these days and realize how great it was – just the two of us doing our best to be good and love each other and work hard and play harder. We are “those poor newlywed college students.” The happy ones. In a way, it’s kind of like a fairytale.

5 comments:

  1. Those days were some of the best, when Janna and I just scraped by on very little. (Funny, I still feel that way today). Don't get a Lexus, buy a Subaru. Dark Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, your header photo is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Those are the best memories, and I actually do miss them now that we're both done with school and working real "career" jobs. I was actually thinking just the other day that I have not been really "shopping" since the year after high school (at least not like I used to; because I was then working 4 jobs and going to school full time and then I got married). And yes, I miss it, it's true. But worth the other goals and memories.

    PS awesome job on your Olympic tri. You're my new hero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea! i wondered if it was him who you'd married. i remember the drama (or something) when you first started dating. i'm glad to hear it worked out. and i love that you're so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's strange that you're excited to be poor--there's so much good that comes out of it! Here's hoping I'll still be in that group in the future ;) Makes me happy just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete