Sunday, August 29, 2010

I think I’m going to be a crazy person when I’m a mom. Judging from my nerves running amuck yesterday just with Tyler, my poor kids don’t have a chance for the calm, cool, collected type. 

Let me tell you something about Tyler. He is amazing. I’ve never seen him do poorly at anything. He’s just one of those people who can DO things. Like pretty much anything. But yesterday he did something neither of us have ever done before. A half ironman. Do you know what that is? 1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike ride, 13.1-mile run. One right after the other. It is so hard.

Oh, and did I mention triathons are hard? And one that will take about six hours - well, there’s a real possibility of it ending badly. I spent the morning in the transition area, pacing and jumpy, waiting for him to finish each leg. He swam plenty fast, but to me it seemed like it would never end. When he was done I knew at least he wouldn’t drown. Then the bike. Crashes, flat tires, fatigue – all possible. But three hours later he came sailing in. A little wind worn, but doing alright.

Then the run. So hard after what he’d been through. I ran the last half of it with him, and I tried to think of every story I know to keep him focused on something besides his overworked body. That always helps me. But stories were not enough. He was so ready for the finish line.

He’s not too stoked about his time, but I just remind him he’s one of very few people in the world who could ever do what he just did. I couldn’t if it saved my life. I’m pretty impressed. And glad to be able to breath again.

1 comment:

  1. Umm. Wow again. You two are amazing. Remind me to take awesome-ness lessons from you sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete