Saturday, August 21, 2010

Triathlons are Hard

Some people ask me why I pay to swim, bike, run/torture myself. Well, have you ever crossed the finish line? You realize that for months you trained, for months you sacrificed hours and sleep to push it just a little bit harder. And then on race day, you give it everything you have. I mean, you have to dig deep. Your mind has to say "go faster" when your body is pleading with you to stop. You conquered mountains, you conquered freezing water and a kick to the face, you conquered that big girl (in a nice way) who kept passing you. More than anything, you conquered yourself. You did it.

So, I finished. A mile swim, a 24-mile bike ride, a 6-mile run. I took third in an age group of four, but I was just four minutes back from the winner. 3 hours, 17 minutes. My goal was 3:30. The hardest part was the bike - like seven straight miles of hills and headwind.

Afterwards we got a shake and hamburgers from Dairy Keen. I would have eaten two shakes - no remorse.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! You did it! You're incredible!!! Time for popcorn! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done AD. No regrets, that's what it's all about. By accomplishing something so big, you give permission to all the rest of us slackers to step it up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy. Moly. Mrs. Incredible right here!

    ReplyDelete