Friday, October 1, 2010

Loyal, Strong and How About Them Aggies


Ok, so they're about to lose. Again. BYU football, I'm feeling a little sick in the stomach. Don't misunderstand, I am true blue. I will pick the Cougs to win every time. But I gotta tell you, I’m a little tired of being the biggest loser in the office poll. I mean really, there’s not one of you guys who can catch the ball?

During my college days, I had the coolest job ever doing sports media relations. My main gig was track and field, but I also spent every football game up in the booth tracking players. Anyone who knew me before that point is now wondering how that ever worked out.

Well, I had a great friend in that booth who started with the basics. That’s the defense, that’s the offense. There’s the quarterback, there’s the cornerback – they’re on different sides of the ball. I learned every name of every player who played that year. I learned that it’s a deep threat (a wide receiver who is really good at catching long passes) rather than a deep throat (a person who talks low, usually a man). I once shed a few tears after I stood in the end zone and watched a one-point devastator against TCU. I love BYU football.
But there will be no tears this year, I'm not up for that much emotion play after play. We’ve deserved to lose. This is not the blue and white I know. I sure hope they find their groove sometime soon. I still hold out hope they will pull out the stops next game ... or the next. If not, I may need to take a breather from the weekend action. Just until the team and I have regained our composure.

1 comment:

  1. You just might have to go for another team this year? The University of Utah is looking really good...

    ReplyDelete