Friday, October 8, 2010

Making it Better


I left the house for work this morning and 12 hours later I headed home. That's pretty on track with how the week was. It was long. I felt like a failure at times. I’ve been working 10-hour plus days writing speeches and creating billions of PowerPoint slides for a big-deal thing on the job. The worst was Wednesday. I woke up and I knew it was going to be bad and asked Tyler if I could call in sick and he said yes, but I knew he was just being nice so I went. And it was what I thought it would be – a day when your head can’t catch a break and life lost its senses.


The failure part has nothing to do with the work part though, I was alright at that. It has to do with the being a wife and friend part.

Tyler’s school days run late on Monday and Tuesday, and this day was a Wednesday – he was finally home, and I was finally going to make him something good for dinner and spend all night just me and him.

But then it was 4:59 – Ty, I’m going to be home a little late. I’m sorry.
Then 5:23 and he offered to take a look at that recipe I’d picked out for the special meal.
Then it was 5:59 and he asked if he should put it in the oven yet.
At 6:05 – I told him I’d leave in 20.
At 6:25 – I told him I needed 15.

Finally, I left – a laptop on my shoulder and barely enough energy to feel relief.

Turns out Tyler can cook. The dinner was great – my favorite touch was the celery and peanut butter set out nicely on the table. Coming home to him was the only thing that got me through the day, or the work that followed me into the night. Thinking about the trip he’s planning for my birthday, thinking about how thoughtful he is, thinking about the little things …

I love him. He makes things better. He fixed everything. Like always.

1 comment: