Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Grandma Movie Night

Last night was grandma movie night. The tradition started with my sister when she lived nearby – once a month we’d go to my grandma Jane’s and watch one of those sweet old-school movies that are so timeless that you can’t help but relax and laugh. Pillow Talk, Send Me No Flowers, Sense and Sensibility - you know the ones.

I held tight to the monthly tradition after my sister moved away (I really wish she could come back for grandma movie night, but it’s a bit too far) – but I’ve missed the last few months with wife stuff going on. Last night, the man had to work so it looked like a great opportunity to me.

My grandma and I have all sorts of fantastic conversations – mostly about life, a lot about love. She misses my grandpa so much. She’s such an example to me of how much you can truly love someone. And how you can serve them and everyone else your whole life – and still be frustrated that you can’t do more. I’ve cried many a tear with her calmly listening, and I’ve laughed so hard I wanted to cry. She is very blunt and very funny. Last night she told me there’s nothing better in life than sex and food. See, she knows what's up.

She says she doesn’t know what else Heavenly Father wants of her, because she just wants to get it over with and be with my grandpa again. I used to tell her she had to stick around until I found a man. Now I’ve got a good one, but I’m still hoping for a few more years with her. I know there’s more to learn.

The movie was Alfred Hitchcock’s To Catch a Thief. I’d recommend it – a classic for sure. It was such a fun night. My grandma is the coolest.


1 comment:

  1. I'm putting that movie on my "to see" list just because of you. Grandmas are the best... I miss mine. It broke my heart to think I wouldn't be able to share those big life moments with her when she passed away. Then my step-grandma passed, and the last grandma doesn't really deal with our family at all (what a shame). I hope someday my husband still have a grandma or two left. I miss grandmas... maybe that's why I like family history because a lot of grandma do it...?

    ReplyDelete