Friday, October 4, 2013

Cross Your Fingers


The baby began to cry at 5:14 a.m. I maybe think he made the saddest sound I’ve ever heard. He was mostly asleep, but continuously whimpering. He’s grown three molars in the last two weeks and a fourth is evidently on its way. Rough. Finally I gave up on the belief that he was going back to sleep unassisted and entered the freezing morning air to get him a bottle of milk. Poor thing had pee all over him (that’s what a second 9 oz. of milk with a dose of Tylenol at 12 a.m. will do…). He was probably freezing. At any rate he was uncomfortable.

I changed him, then we rocked. I sang to calm him down. I tried to put him back in his crib to see if he could sleep some more. But that face. He was so sad. So we read and we rocked some more. As much as I wanted to go back to my bed, I enjoyed the moment. He cuddled up close to me (which never happens), tickled my arm and listened. That’s how our day began.

I did everything wrong in the moments of crisis last night, according to one expert or another. Honestly, the longer I’m a mother the more I tend to screw up. You’d think I’d get better. I find myself apologizing several times a day to Nixon, mainly for not knowing what I’m doing. Sorry I gave you the toy, then realized it was unsafe and took it away. Sorry I hit your head (for the 10th time) getting out of the car. Sorry I didn’t notice you had four rocks in your mouth until you started to choke (he’s quick and has an obsession, don’t judge.). Sorry, baby. Sorry.


Somehow, though, after all the sucking I do, he’s still the happiest baby I’ve ever met. He is so cool. He’s social and loves to explore. He holds my hand and brings me a million books to read every day. He calls everything that’s round a ball and his favorite ball is a peach. He maybe eats too many of those “balls.”


I’m far from a parenting guru. Seriously, other people could probably do better, even with my own child (take that, Pinterest quotes). But Nixon gets me. And if a mom who tries super hard and prays super often counts for anything, he’s not that bad off. Cross your fingers. 

1 comment:

  1. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me, you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.
    Hospital Wheelchair

    ReplyDelete