Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sick and the Fire that Wasn't

I am taking the second sick day of my working career. It’s not like me, but I’m legitimately under the cold weather (and sick of the cold weather, for that matter). I called my boss, Tyler made me an awesome breakfast, then I went back to bed for two more hours. I was pretty impressed with myself.

I put our sheets in the washer. I got a cup of dry cereal, and I sat on the couch to rest some more (honestly, it took it out of me). Well, 10 minutes down and the fire alarm was going at full blast. My first thought – the washer! I mean, let’s be honest, Tyler usually does the wash. I’ve done laundry most of my life though, so you wouldn’t think I’d lost the touch… but anyway. I threw the cup of Lucy Charms (I regretted that later, I just vacuumed, for heaven’s sake) turned off the washing machine, checked for smoke, then got out of there.

It’s cold outside. I forgot my shoes. The alarm was going off in the whole building, not just our condo. The other ladies of the building and their little kids (or dogs, as the case may be) followed me out. You always wonder what you’ll actually do in case of an emergency. I did not turn off the gas – thought of that later. Sorry, Dad. I did call 911. I gave them the directions in what hopefully sounded very calm and collected (probably sounded sick. I’m sick. Ugh.)

The emergency guys came – first the police officer, then the fire truck and ambulance, complete with lights and sirens. And then and then … it turns out it was construction work that set it off. They checked the condos. We were cleared to go inside 30 minutes later or so. We’re safe and I’m grateful for emergency guys, especially when they have to come for nothing.

Not much of a story, but that’s the eventfulness of the day. At least I finally blogged again! I’ll be around again shortly. For now, I need another nap. 

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy! Better not happen to me I guess. I didn't know you were supposed to turn off the gas, or where to find it even if I did know that. ;) Get feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds like a fun adventure. I wouldnt have thought about turning off the gas either...i guess I should learn. I hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete