Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Teaching Moment


Five months. What a trip. When we first brought Nixon home, I was pretty scared. I’ve cared for many babies, but every other time I got to give them back. And these babies weren’t counting on me to teach them anything. This one is.


I realize Nixon’s not so old and how many things can I really teach him? But there is so much he’s learning. Like sleeping. Somehow three weeks ago he decided he needs a big meal around 5:30 a.m. if he was to continue sleeping. I’m not sure how to teach him otherwise.


And lately he’s been rolling over a lot. Back to front, back to front. He has a few issues with this. One, he usually has a toy in his hand and can’t get his one arm out from underneath him. Two, when he gets to his stomach, he’s convinced he should either roll back or crawl, but doesn’t know how to do either. So what do I do? Let him get super frustrated until he learns? Or help him back to a more suitable position? Heck if I know.


I want to make sure he sees, loves and is grateful for the world around him. I want him to be happy and secure. I want him to grow and learn. And for now, I just want him to be a baby whose favorite thing in the world is hanging out with his mom and dad.


I love this little guy. He laughs at my jokes, loves it when I sing and has the cutest voice when he talks. Oh and don’t get me started on how perfect he and Tyler are together. That kid got the best dad ever. I hope together we can teach him everything he needs to know. At this point, he’s still alive with no lasting injury – I’d say we mark the first five down as a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment