Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Training for the Finish

Remind me not to tell people that I loved being pregnant. I have loved some things about it – like the movements of a child inside of me and the sound of his heart. Oh, and the decorating. But pregnancy is incredibly hard – mentally and physically. A few times I have wished I didn’t have to be pregnant, like yesterday when the nausea came back. Or the day before when I could hardly walk because of what felt like a pelvic bone about the crumble. Now, the Shrek foot (just one swells, the other not so much), now that’s just funny. Can’t complain too much about that. Then I remember what a blessing it is and will be my whole life. It will eventually be worth it.

I am getting nervous about the whole giving birth thing. It sounds so hard.


The other day as we were doing laps in the pool before the sun officially came out I felt like I was in tri training mode again. Then I realized I am training – for the most intense physical test of my life so far. I felt grateful that I’ve been able to be physically active during this time of pregnancy, not only for the mental peace it brings, but also because I think I’ll need the endurance I’ve maintained for the task ahead.
 Over the weekend I bought my favorite yellow Powerade for use during labor. I have thought about buying the sports beans or shot blocks, my favorite electrolyte boosts. Probably seems strange to some, but they make sense to me.

I have done hard things, like the triathlons. But this time will be very different – instead of my parents standing on the street corner yelling my name, it will be Tyler by my side, holding my hand. Although there have been times I have prayed for the strength to finish a triathlon, those prayers are nothing like the ones I’m praying now or will pray until a baby is safe in my arms. Five more weeks. It's very real.

No comments:

Post a Comment