Friday, November 12, 2010

Good Gig Somedays

I get to wear a lot of hats as a public relations girl on the job, and many of them quite frankly stress the heck out of me. But today I found one that I really, really like – the Santa hat. I’m in charge of the company’s Sub-for-Santa giving effort this year, one that has us signed up to provide Christmas for 80 children in the local community. There’s a lot that goes into such a project, but it doesn’t feel soooo intense, as some things seem to.

Today I found myself on the phone with the families, letting them know that they’d be receiving Sub-for-Santa help this year. Realizing that I have some work to do on my thoughts because they’re not always the kindest, before the process began I was thinking most of these people would just be “users of the system.” And I was wrong. I tend to be more often than not. Call after call I heard the sincere appreciation in a mother’s voice as she told me how grateful she was for the help they are receiving.

As one mother spoke, I could feel how much she absolutely loved her children – she made me want to hug my own children and tell them they’re incredible – and I don’t even have any yet. She’s one I will remember.

Today reminded me the absolute only way to feel the real depth of the Christmas spirit – really the only way to feel happy at all – is to make someone else happy. That’s what it’s all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment